The Metro Group, Inc. is a water treatment and mechanical sales, service, electrical and installation contractor. An industry leader for over 95 years, we specialize in the multi-family residential, institutional and commercial market sectors. Metro provides services, repairs, installations, retro-fits, conversions, and equipment sales for thousands of large-scale HVAC systems and water-based process systems throughout the Eastern seaboard as well as services, repairs, and installation of electrical systems throughout the New York City metropolitan area.
Headquartered in Long Island City, NY, Metro operates the largest fleet of service vehicles for its market sector in its target urban market places, including over one hundred service vehicles aimed at the metro-New York City market place.
We are seeking qualified candidates to fill a newly-created HR Generalist role. The position is ideal for a highly-capable, high-functioning and self-starting individual looking to help shape the future of Human Resources at the company and take advantage of upcoming growth opportunities.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· On-boarding and off-boarding: Meet & greet, HR orientation for new hires, paperwork generation, union enrollment (as applicable), exit interviews
· Enter new hires into Paychex payroll system
· Standardize and monitor annual performance appraisals. Coach managers on writing good reviews in consultation with Director of Operations and General Counsel
· HR-related bill review
· FMLA/Worker’s Comp/Disability/state PFL/COVID policy oversight and management, including employee consultations, manager inquiry support, documentation collection and review, and monthly reporting
· Review and approve first-line employee write-ups/disciplinary documents. Coach managers on writing good disciplinary documents in consultation with Director of Operations and General Counsel
· Respond to first-line employee inquiries on benefits, policies, and other HR-related items. Escalate to Director of Operations/General Counsel and/or external vendors as appropriate
· Manage annual open enrollment for medical/dental insurance, FSA program, life insurance
· Manage Employee Navigator benefits portal and coordinate with insurance brokerage and employees as needed
· Coordinate with temp/staffing agencies as needed
· Generate monthly HR dashboards and submit monthly birthday/Metro-anniversary list to marketing team
· Quarterly and annual HR reporting including state PFL, OSHA, etc
· Submit HR-related items of company-wide interest for inclusion in monthly newsletter (open enrollment announcements, employee promotions, and similar)
· Payroll backup
· Miscellaneous other departmental duties as needed
· Bachelor’s degree from a competitive college or university, ideally in Human Resources, Business or related field
· 5-7 years Human Resources experience
· NYS Notary Public license or commitment to obtaining license within 6 months of hire (company-paid)
· Current experience using Paychex
· Demonstrable ability to professionally and effectively handle difficult conversations
· Experience professionally and effectively working with a diverse workforce
· Experience with HRIS a plus; we will be looking to on-board an HRIS in 2022 and will look to the chosen candidate to make software recommendations and participate in the roll-out
· Outstanding organizational and time management skills
· Keen attention to details and an exacting work ethic
· Self-starter able to work effectively with busy team members
· Energetic, enthusiastic and flexible
· Excellent, reliable and compliant written and verbal communication skills
· Polished, professional presentation
Compensation: $70-75k, commensurate with experience. Medical/dental insurance, 401k with company match, generous paid leave, company-paid life insurance, FSA.
The Metro Group, Inc. is an EEOC-compliant employer.