Part 1. Team Members and Their Responsibilities
As part of creation of a management program and plan it is crucial to lay out the different members that will be involved with the servicing and management of the cooling tower, and assign responsibilities as necessary. Typical categories of team members fall under these roles:
1. Owner – The owner of the cooling tower equipment.
2. Owners Representative – Typically responsible for NYC & NYS Compliance Registration/Uploads. Also typically the primary record keeper
3. Responsible Person – Typically responsible for the weekly visual inspection, 3x weekly water quality testing, and also a primary record keeper
4. Mechanical Contractor – Typically responsible for preventative maintenance and/or repairs to the tower
5. Account Manager – Typically a liaison to all involved parties as well as an additional record keeper
6. Service Technician – Performs monthly treatment, disinfections, and quarterly inspections
7. Qualified Person – Creates & Maintains the MPP, quarterly legionella sampling, inspection review and sign off, secondary record keeping
The delegation of these different roles helps assure all necessary parts of compliance are covered, and it is clear who is responsible. This will also identify for the Department of Health during time of inspection how the person they are speaking with is related to the cooling tower management. It is imperative that all functions are identified and each team members full contact information is provided according to section RCNY 8-03 to be compliant. Lastly, it is important this data is consistent with the information as registered with the NYS/NYC. It is expected that team members will change over time and that both the MPP and registration portals are updated as needed to be kept up to date.
For assistance in creation or management of an MPP please contact The Metro Group at 718-729-7200
To read more on this series click below:
For more information on cooling tower compliance: COOLING TOWER COMPLIANCE OVERVIEW