The Importance of Conserving Water in Cooling Towers
As the cost of water continues to rise, buildings are exploring ways to conserve their water usage. One effective approach is to decrease the amount of water consumed by cooling towers.
Cooling towers can be a significant source of water consumption, with some cooling towers using millions of gallons of water each year. This can put a strain on water resources, particularly in areas where water is scarce or where there are concerns about water quality.
A substantial amount of water can be conserved in cooling tower operations. Use of conservation measures, good maintenance practices, proper water treatment, and certain control devices can reduce water consumption considerably. We are delighted to offer you best practices on how to conserve water in cooling towers.
12-Point Checklist to Reduce Water Consumption in Cooling Towers
- Eliminate overflow of cooling tower water at pan or sump by lowering float.
- Eliminate overflow of cooling tower water at distribution deck by cleaning and removing obstructions on deck and troughs.
- Reduce bleed off and operate at higher cycles of concentration. With proper water treatment, most cooling towers can reduce bleed off by 50 to 100%.
- Use bleed off control automation and flow control valves to limit bleed-off.
- Use modern dispersants to reduce deposits while operating at higher cycles.
- Install filters and strainers to remove accumulated suspended matter.
- Use alternate sources of water for cooling tower make up wherever possible such as air handling unit condensate, or rainwater.
- Reduce excessive leaks from pump packing.
- Reclaim all water losses and return to the system.
- Install water meters on makeup and bleed lines to measure, monitor and control water usage.
- Reclaim water from places it would otherwise be dumped and evaluate its use as tower makeup: condensate losses at steam condensers, heat exchangers, etc.
- Use good water treatment to keep the system clean, save water, and energy.
Need Help Conserving Water in Your Cooling Tower?
Consult with our experienced cooling tower experts. Metro Group, headquartered in NYC since 1925, has expert technicians that customers trust to maintain their cooling towers for overall efficiency. For more information and for a free consultation visit: https://www.metrogroupinc.com/water-treatment/water-treatment/cooling-water-treatment/